Sherlock, South Australia
banner1

Sherlock, South Australia

Tailem Bend to Lameroo
Sherlock General Store, South Australia
Sherlock General Store, South Australia

The Hundred of Sherlock was proclaimed in 1899 and named by Lieutenant-Governor Way after one of Governor Buxton's friends.

Early settlers knocked down scrub with roller and horses; they earned six shilings a ton for mallee timber cut for the Pinnaroo railway line and four shillings and six pence a ton for stumps.

Price of land in 1927 was between two shillings and six pence and one pound five shillings an acre.

The Government erected a bore at Sherlock for water. The Moorlands Station homestead was approximately 5 miles north of Sherlock.

Sherlock railway station was busy servicing the town and in 1910-11 it was a service point for Karoonda and surrounds. About 1925 Sherlock had a resident station master.

The first stone church along the Pinnaroo line was opened in 1911 at Sherlock and first tennis courts in 1910 near the church.

School was initially held in the Baptist church until the Education Department erected a school building. The school closed in 1970 and students attended the Coomandook Area School.

In 1960, the District Council of Peake built Council Chambers incorporating a residence for the Clerk. Sherlock was chosen as this was considered to be the most central point within the Council area. In 1973 a new Council Chambers and Office were built on adjoining land and closed in 1997 when the Council amalgamated to form the Coorong District Council.

Information by the Coomandook, Peake and Districts Historical Society in conjunction with the Coorong District Council.

<<< Moorlands – Next town West • Next Town East – Peake >>>
south australia - victoria
south australia - victoria
Southern Mallee Southern Mallee District Council
Day Street, Pinnaroo SA 5304
Ph: (08) 8577 8002
South Australian Towns Victorian Towns South Australia Victoria South Australia Victoria